Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Honey, Cinnamon and Coconut oil face wash

This is a DIY for a very simple face wash. I have acne prone skin, and when I say acne prone I mean white heads, black heads and even cystic pimples. I have tried different products over a considerable period of time but my skin always seems to adjust and then the product doesn't work anymore.
After the significant success of using apple cider vinegar as a toner for over a year, I thought it might be worth a try to see what other beauty products might work for me right out of the kitchen cupboard. This is one that seems to be working so far.




You'll need:


Cinnamon
Honey
Pure coconut oil
Empty container to store your concoction



How to:

There are no precise measurements to this. That's the beauty of it. I put about a third of coconut oil into an empty container. Then I add about a heaped teaspoonful of cinnamon. The amount of cinnamon depends on whether you want a mildly exfoliating wash or a stronger scrub effect. Finally I make up the rest with honey. I use so much honey primarily because it is the main cleansing ingredient but also because I like my washes on the thicker side. It is pretty much up to you and I can tell you that every batch you make is going to be slightly different. This is a good thing because your skin never gets the chance to adapt to it and therefore it should work for as long as you need it.

WHY?


Cinnamon is included as an exfoliating agent. It is beneficial to the skin because it brings blood and nutrients to the skin surface and helps to dry out the skin. This helps rid your skin of acne but can be harsh on the skin. Read more here

Honey has antibacterial properties that speed the healing of acne. It also contains antioxidants, which neutralize free radicals to promote healthy skin. It improves the skin’s ability to maintain softness, suppleness and elasticity, and is suitable for most skin types. Read more here

Coconut oil is a moisturizing oil that locks in your skin's moisture that is often stripped by commercial cleansers. I know most people would be sceptical about using an oil in a face wash but  it is necessary to counteract the harshness of the cinnamon. It is also suitable for most skin types and absorbs quite easily.

I have done this face wash using olive oil instead of coconut oil but I didn't like the way it felt on my skin. My face feels more supple and soft with the coconut oil variation. You can also use this as a body wash and even though I am not keen on it as a body wash, it's worth a try.

Note: I am not qualified in any way to dispense professional advice. This recipe has worked for me so far but it might not be suitable for your skin, even if it doesn't contain chemical and processed products. Please take caution.





No comments:

Post a Comment